POETRY, MUSIC, ART

POETRY, MUSIC, ART
SILENCE HAS A NAME - Poetry Chapbook and CD, with Music by Mark Hanley

Saturday, August 25, 2012

WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP!

Ani Drubgyudma, a Western Buddhist nun who has been a contemplative practitioner since 1973, has written a beautiful, bold and necessary book, Wake Up in the Forest, that is a gem for those wanting to or already practicing contemplation or meditation in nature. And it offers hope for those who long for more than what daily life has to offer.

How many of us, bogged down by routine in suburbia or cities, do not dream of escaping into nature for peace and serenity? I often find when I'm alone in nature that the sight and scent of flowers, trees and earth, the sound of streams and rivers, the view of lakes, hold profound and special significance, particularly because those experiences are so rare.

My experience is also that nature not only enlivens the senses and refreshes the mind, but takes me deeper into myself, to who I really am. It is increasingly a brave venture--to go into the woods, to find one's inner way in silence--not unlike the way Thoreau and even Jack Kerouac did--because it is increasingly hard to do.

Ani is a poet, writer, photographer and artist, and the images, poems, reflections and deep insight that comprise Wake Up in the Forest make for both important and compelling reading.

Take the time to read, reflect, and review this work of words and images that are like a vast and profound blessing.

http://www.blurb.com/books/3346848

2 comments:

  1. Ever the contrarian, I often find myself reflecting upon the man-made vs. the nature-made. I've even written about it a few times... there was that piece you read on my blog about the jumpers, but also this short http://www.toasterchild.com/2011/10/suspended.html I did a while ago. I wonder what that means...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ani Drubgyudma has a profound insight into the healing power of retreat as practiced in a forest mountain hermitage. Her one on one spiritual direction can provide a retreatant with meaningful insights. Ani's book 'Wake Up In The Forest' is a valuable guide to those serious seekers with direct experiential of inner solitude.

    ReplyDelete